Thursday, September 10, 2015

Jean Todt clashes with Bernie Ecclestone over V6 engine

Bernie Ecclestone and Jean Todt, two of the biggest names in Formula One, have clashed over the former’s criticism of the sport’s 1.6-litre V6 power unit.


Ecclestone, the chief executive of the Formula One Group, described the engine introduced last year as “a shitty product”. But Todt, the president of the FAI, its ruling body, said: “If he has some complaints, which may be right, it’s something we should address internally and not make it public. All the credit and money he has got, he deserves it, but I would hope he will be more positive about the product [in the future].”


The two men have not always agreed on the direction F1 has taken. And Todt would also like to see the timing of races changed from lunchtime to early evening. He said: “Maybe we should decide that rather than the race at 1pm or 2pm in Europe during the summer, if you ask my opinion, I would prefer to have it at 6pm in the evening. That way people can then go to the beach, arrive home and see it.”

Referring to his relationship with Ecclestone, Todt added: “I know Bernie very well. I know he may tell you I am his best friend then five minutes later to somebody else I am the worst idiot he has met in his life. I live with that.


“The only thing is, I will not get into that. It just creates some unnecessary gossip. I don’t have any problems with him getting more involved, as he has to if it is bringing something on board.


“ If it is not constructive, you should not do it. But it is his style. Do I intend to change him? I don’t intend to change him.”


Ferrari, meanwhile, should call time on Kimi Raikkonen’s F1 career, according to his former team-mate, David Coulthard.


Raikkonen, world champion in 2007, was outclassed by his team-mate Fernando Alonso last year, when he failed to win a single podium place. He started this season in better form, and was second in Bahrain. But weak performances in the past two races, in Canada and Austria, have once again placed his drive under threat. And he is being outdriven by his team-mate once again – this time Sebastian Vettel.


“I think it’s time for change,” said Coulthard, who drove alongside Raikkonen for McLaren between 2002 and 2004. “I’m not anti-Kimi at all but having lived through that experience myself, there’s a point in your career where you just stop getting better.


“ It happened to me in my career. I was never the best driver, but there was certainly a point at the end where you just lose the edge. Right now if Kimi goes and wins the next race we’ll all be super-excited, because we need that. But Vettel’s come in and immediately established himself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment